Tuesday, November 15, 2005


Computers

Phishing

I'm telling you, these emails look more and more authentic every day. I got one today from Amazon that looked absolutely like an Amazon confirmation statement. Of course the Panasonic 50" flat screen I ordered was a tip that I didn't order any such thing (although I wish someone would order it for me!). The kicker is that there is a link with https: before it (indicating it is a secure site supposedly) and advising you to click on it if you find this order is in error. You are told you can reactivate your account at Amazon by doing this.

I can only imagine how many folks click on that link. Don't do it. If you see something like this, type in www.amazon.com yourself in the address bar of your browser and go to My Account and look at recent orders. That will tell you if something is amiss.

Pays to be careful these days.

No comments: