Wednesday, November 05, 2003

The Advantages of Television

Dean Offers No Apology for Rebel Flag Remark: "But Dr. Dean refused to apologize or retract the statement. Indeed, he appeared stunned at times as the Rev. Al Sharpton of New York, one of two African-Americans in the race, and then Senator John Edwards of North Carolina attacked him for using what they asserted was a potent and divisive symbol of segregation."

Dean usually appears half stunned about most things. :) I think this is one of the advantages of television and why it is important to watch these debates, in addition to reading the newspaper on reports online. You get so much more feel for a person when you can watch them in the heat of battle week after week. Dean always strikes me as a bit uncomfortable and has the strangest expressions on his face. I know you're not supposed to vote on glamour, but poise and the way you conduct yourself are important aspects of leadership and people having confidence in your ability to lead.

Actually the ones that appear most poised are Mosely Braun, Al Sharpton, and John Kerry, with possibly John Edwards added into the bunch. Of those four, Kerry probably has the best chance of winning the nomination, but I'm not sure his support staff is up to the challenge of getting out the voters. Dean remains the frontrunner (although he does seem to bounce back and forth on his ideas and is frequently called on it), but I sure can't see him beating GW and that is a spooky thought. Clark does nothing for me and appears to just say whatever he thinks the public wants to hear. I still go with Kerry, although I like John Edwards more and more for his honesty and a gut feeling that he speaks from the heart. I could never get that from just reading a newspaper.  

No comments: