Friday, August 15, 2003

Had a good day today, despite turning 53! Decided to take in the movie Seabiscuit, since Janet and I had both listened to the audio version of the book, which was a great story, written by a very gifted writer. It's hard to say how the movie was, as we knew the plot, which sort of killed the suspense one felt while listening (reading) to the book. The horse filming was exceptional, that much I will say. Toby McGuire I wouldn't have picked for the role - I think he has too mousy of a voice to play the role - Red Pollard struck me as a much tougher little spitfire than Toby. All in all though, not a bad production and a tough challenge to fit the scope of the book into 2 hours. I give it a B. (according to many who signed the Guestbook at the Seabiscuit web site (see link above), those that saw the movie first thought it was fantastic and were inspired to read the book).

Janet's B'day card to me was one full of wisdom:


Life is a powerful, growing force.
To live well, we must learn
to bend,
embrace the changes,
and make the most
of every moment.

Yield to today.
Give yourself to every moment.
Take in every unexpected wonder.
Take in every joy.
Put aside convention.
Set aside misgivings
and yield to the power of today.

(inspired by Cherokee Philosophy)

No comments: