Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Well, I'm getting worn out trying to convince my friends (soon to be former friends, no doubt!) to sign up and get themselves a free iPod as well as one for myself. I'm gonna chuckle when I get this thing, cause I'm sure none of them believe it. It's not that big a thing to do and I easily completed the offer in a few minutes. Of course, they make you work at it a bit by dragging you through various offers you just say no to, until you come to the one you have to say yes to, but that's a small price to pay.

But, the wife is hollering about me cranking out an annual Xmas letter - my appointed task - something I would say I look forward to, but really don't. :) But inquiring minds want to know all about our exciting lives on top of the mountain, so I must bless them with a rendition! So my recent obsession with my iPod hunt will have to slow a bit. Although I should be getting my first 3 Blockbuster movies in the mailbox today, so that will suck up 6 hours of time from my Xmas letter writing task. :)

Cell Phones - no contract - anyone using Net10?
Anybody use Net10 out there? I'm thinking of getting an emergency cell phone for those times when I'm traveling and now that Net10 (.10/minute always) has increased the time they allow you per card (up to 60 days on a $30 dollar (300 minute) card) before you have to reactivate by buying another card, the expense isn't all that great. The cheapest phone they have with the deal is the Nokia 1100 for $50 - anybody use this service and can tell me if they like it or not? Supposedly includes roaming, long distance,etc - uses other carriers' towers to accomplish this. I like this deal because there are no contracts and I can quit anytime I want and if I decide to sign up again, I can, but I'll get a different number (no biggie, since nobody's going to call me on this anyway).

Cars/vans/trucks
Anybody have thoughts on a car that has 4wd or AWD that has a lot of storage space that I could pick up new or used for less than 15K? Want something that gets good gas mileage yet has plenty of room (seats folding down in back to a flat floor) so that the wife can cram it full of art stuff and all the stuff she picks up down at the local flea market so she can create more stuff. Did I say stuff? Have contemplated Hyundai hatchbacks, Subaru Outbacks/Foresters (expensive), Chevy HRRs, PT Pacers - some of those don't have 4wd/AWD which I'd like in the mountains, but I'm not gonna pay a fortune to get it. Don't really want a pickup truck (might look like a local - can't have that! :) - might go for a van if I could find one used with AWD. If you have thoughts, post a comment. No spammers please - just normal folks who might pass on a tip.

Laptops
Laptops are getting cheaper - saw a nice Toshiba with a Tru-bright screen down at Walmart the other day for $999. Pentium M processor, 80GB (5400rpm) HD, 512mb RAM, Dual-layer DVD burner - not bad. Send me one for Christmas, if you're feeling bored. :)

No comments: